Yep, that means exactly what you think it means. If you are not a good real estate agent, get out of the business now before you spend one more dime or dollar on your personal marketing or MLS dues. Give your overpriced listings to someone else who will price them right and market them intelligently. (That way you might actually see a few dollars from your efforts down the line when the referral fee comes due after closing.)
Gone (for now) are the days where being a good real estate agent meant you were a Good Prospector. NO ONE IS IMPRESSED with your listing inventory or even with the number of marginally-qualified buyers you're driving around.
All that matters are closings.
And you know what? You don't create closings with expert real estate prospecting. You create closings with expert real estate advising.
I don't care how good of a salesperson you are, you cannot sell a house to anyone. You cannot sell a house for anyone. Your new job description is to use the brain and creativity God gave you to best advise and serve your client.
If you don't know how to sell a house, other than to plop it in the MLS, create a brochure and put a sign in the yard (and oh, yes, enter it on Craigslist), then you have no business tying up a seller's valuable marketing time and energy.
Let a GOOD agent handle the listing... one who:
- Knows how to properly price a home and absolutely refuses to overprice
- Has the balls to be direct with sellers about any obstacles to sale and insist that they be corrected or priced for
- Has the manpower connections to help the seller prepare his home and/or get through inspection.
- Is willing to risk upsetting a seller by insisting that he allow short-notice showings and that he vacate the house during showings
- Knows how to take good digital photos and post them online
- Knows how to explain the marketing process to the seller so that the seller feels involved, committed and included (and therefore cooperative!)
- Keeps the seller updated on local market activity and trends
- Ensures that the brochure box is always full OR pulls the damn box off the sign
- Ensures that the key works in the lock and doesn't accept the excuse that "there's a trick to it"
- Is pleasant, respectful and responsive to buyer agents who express interest or have questions.
- Is a respectful, creative and effective negotiator
- Insists on a home staging consultation
- Offers 7 day/week showing service
- CARES almost as much about selling that home as the seller himself
(Feel free to add to this list...)
THE PUBLIC DESPERATELY NEEDS US RIGHT NOW. It's not all about us and our needs. Our clients need us to do our jobs exceptionally well to give all those FOR SALE signs a chance to be SOLDs. If and when that happens, the perception could possibly turn this mess around. WE OWE IT TO OUR ADORING FANS!!
copyright Jennifer Allan 2007
The More Fun You Have Selling Real Estate, the More Real Estate You Will Sell!
Order Your Here!